Business Development Director – A Creative Agency
Our client is a group of transdisciplinary organisations working across the urban and natural environment, using the tools of; architecture, design, visual arts and creative production to create compelling and innovative narratives that speak to our vision for our environment, civil society and culture. They work through a collaborative process, simultaneously enhanced by multiple disciplines beyond the normal parameters of design and creative production. Their core values are focused on creating better and more sustainable communities through the activity and interventions provided through the tools of storytelling, urbanism, architecture, and creative production.
We are looking for a dynamic self-starter, assertive, energetic, deep thinking, a detailed and well-organised person with a good understanding and desire to explore design and creative production through a transdisciplinary process. The Business Director is responsible for establishing and executing the major strategic goals and objectives of the organization and for ensuring its financial sustainability.
Under the supervision of the CEO and board of Directors, the candidate will have an opportunity to work along the lines of Strategy
• Work with CEO, Senior Management, Group Creative Lead and Business Development to develop and implement an overall strategy for vision to be a leading design and creative institution in Africa.
• Analyzing and evaluating the effectiveness of the organization’s operations and personnel
• Originating ideas for new training and development programmes
• Securing funding and investment for the organisations’ projects and programmes
• Grow the business using the organisations existing assets, projects and programmes
• Build and maintain partnership relations with relevant sector organizations across Nigeria
• Monitoring and understanding political, sectorial and technological developments which impact on the creative sector
• Representing the organization to industry bodies, public agencies, partners and
funders, the charity, regulator and the media
• Collaborating with all departments and senior management to obtain knowledge of the clients’ requirements and ensure the organisation is working efficiently.
Central to the Managing Director’s role is the delivery of the organization’s remit and its unique core purpose of supporting the creative sector through the design and delivery of high-quality training and development initiatives.
- Manage directly and execute key business functions, such as running the guest relations and sales departments, admin and logistics for key initiatives.
- Support the CEO in the execution of business strategies and plans to deliver the Company’s growth agenda, meet set goals, and increase profitability
- Establish the company’s objectives, and track progress against goals.
- Work closely with multidisciplinary project teams, to implement process/projects including business development and digital.
- Coordinate with management and clients to identify business opportunities with existing and new clients.
- Run the overarching project management of the Company’s various business units, supporting team leads, coordinating work streams and team members, to guarantee the Company’s operational efficiency.
- Identify opportunities for innovative training programmes that add value for individuals, companies and the wider market
- Research funding sources and identify potential funding partners
- Construct proposals and write applications to secure funding and other support to deliver these initiatives.
- Ensure that the programmes and other initiatives offered by the organisation meet industry need, contribute to CEO’s overall strategy and enhance the reputation and standing of the organization
- Constantly research and understand developments in the creative industries to identify and exploit opportunities to support the industry and make a significant contribution
- Collaborate with the marketing teams and product specialists on new product/initiative design and roll-outs, handling the general management of the incubation phases of these new products.
- Lead the execution of Special Projects – develop and deliver pitches for new business; assume project management and client account management responsibilities.
- Lead brainstorming/business development and strategy sessions to generate ideas.
- Review work, troubleshoot and provide feedback to teams and units.
- Revise content and presentations, approve/reject ideas, provide feedback to the team.
- Monitor results of team efforts and propose actions for the future.
- Supervise the business development teams workflow, assign project workload, and monitor deadlines and budgets in partnership with the business development team.
• Develop existing and build new relationships with relevant stakeholders and industry bodies.
• Promote organisations reputation and profile through participation in industry events and opportunities.
• Represent the organization on public platforms and in the media as required
• Contribute written and verbal submissions to industry/government consultations • Communicate with all stakeholders in the sector and in the public agencies to keep them informed of the work of the organisation and it’s affiliates
• Position organisation as a trusted and reliable partner for all who care about the development of the creative industries in Nigeria
• Maintain full awareness of the complete financial and accounting of the organization
• Ensure financial processes and procedures are robust and effective
• Ensure that operating results established in the overall budget are achieved and that there is control of operating expenditure within individual programme budgets
• Oversee all financial reporting, forecasting, cost control and cash flow
• Ensure the accuracy, integrity and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting
• Authorize online banking payments and sign all cheques
• Provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the income and expenditure
Management of Staff
• Support CEO with maintaining a comprehensive Company budget and performing financial analyses.
• Support team leads on procurement negotiations and vendor management including the review of legal contracts and Heads of Teams
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the CEO
• Manage relevant full, part-time or freelance staff and interns as appropriate.
• Plan and carry out regular supervision meetings and regular team meetings. Develop Capability/Talent and Products
• Create new ideas and products to be developed by the organisation.
• Remain actively involved in hiring and training of staff.
• Coach and develop the 1/2 direct report(s) for this role to maximize full and current potential.
• Manage and cultivate the career development of staff members
• Bachelor’s degree required, Advanced degree (optional).
• Helps to have had significant experience of working at senior/director level in the creative industry.
• Significant experience and exemplary record of leading, coaching and nurturing teams
• Outstanding communication capabilities and experience of dealing with people at all levels across industry, government, and stakeholder constituencies.
• Experience in high-level strategy formulation and effective implementation
• Extensive experience in operational management
• Analytical Thinking: Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts explore and evaluate them systematically. • Able to take decisions independently and know when to take the initiative and when to refer for guidance
• Strategic Thinking: Strategically focused, able to identify areas which will most benefit the business and able to translate a range of information into a meaningful story perceived as stimulating and useful for the business.
• Communication: Able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information. • Confident and self-assured, with the ability to manage and adapt to challenging situations with sensitivity. • Can facilitate and present with energy and authority. • A respected voice in senior discussions
• Influencing & Persuading: Able to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. • Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
• Collaboration: Challenges systems, processes and the people that block collaboration connects people, ideas, processes and issues, sets an example by sharing resources, knowledge, ideas and skills across the organization, build helpful productive relationships across the organization.
• Creative Thinking: Creatively minded and inquiring. • Must have ability to look at existing situations and problems in novel ways and come up with creative solutions. • Fosters imagination, creativity and experimentation. • Must be interested in what’s happening in the world: new developments and ways of working, trends, the changing lives of people and technology.
• Tenacity & Resilience: Demonstrates an approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy. •Manages personal effectiveness in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations.
Highly demanding, creative environment and delivers services to a niche market and high net worth clients in general. The role could involve working outside usual business hours including weekends.
Full time – 5 days (40 hours) per week
Salary – TBA
10% on all invoiced and paid projects that came as a direct result through your Client relationship. (please note this payment can only be made on invoiced paid by the clients and not on the projected or agreed sums)
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your application with CV to Work@theassemblyhub.com with the subject “Business Development Director”.
To be the first to know when a job drops, sign up to our “A Careers” Newsletter here
If you’re interested in having us source and provide the best candidates for your team please contact us at Work@theassemblyhub.com
Have you registered for our FREE soft skills training? You can get more information on it here https://www.theassemblyhub.com/register-for-our-free-soft-skills-training/